Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Choices, Choices

It's 5:30a and the polls open in 30 minutes. I'm sitting here in my jeans and a sweater, trying to make a big decision right now: Do I put on foundation, lipstick and mascara before I leave here to go vote, or do I trust in the darkness, the early hour to give me anonymity?

My voting decisions are already made. All I have to do is poke at some chads, but sometimes the tough decisions aren't really the big ones. They are the moment-to-moment choices. Will I try to squeeze a walk or some dance rehearsal in later today? Both boys are home from school and they tend to get in the way of exercise. Will I cook up the cauliflour and broccoli for lunch, or just slap together a PBJ?

Whatever your dreams and anxieties about the future of our nation are, the actual acts you engage in to make those changes are fairly simple. Whatever your anxieties and dreams for your own life are, the choices you make to change your future are usually just as simple. Stop fretting and tie your tennis shoes on. That's not so hard, is it?

What small choices will you make today to strengthen your health and sense of self-esteem? Let me know--post you healthy choice in the comments now.

P.S. I'm putting on the makeup. My Mom reads this blog, and she raised me with certain standards!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pep talk keri. I usually have trouble keeping with my fitness routine when I travel, but am trying to train to run a half marathon with my sister in December. I asked at the hotel about safe places to run, tied on the tennis shoes and ran 8 miles last night. That was the "choice" I made instead of hitting the hotel "hospitality hour" which translates to free beer and hot wings. Happy voting today!
Rhonda