Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Alco-Holidaily


Before you tipple, realize that every serving of alcohol (one shot of liquor, four fluid oz of wine, one bottle of beer) has about 100 calories. Unless you are drinking from a single-serving bottle, chances are you are actually getting TWO or more servings per glass (after all, who only pours half a glass of wine?) If you drink mixed drinks, you are adding a whole lot of sugar to the mix. One good margarita can easily equally an entire meal in calories.

So if you are going to drink, be sure to pace yourself. Consider having one non-alcoholic drink between cocktails: It will keep you hydrated, mitigate the effects of the alcohol somewhat, and reduce the munchies that come along with drinking.

It also helps to plan ahead: Before you get to the event or open the bottle for your guests, decide how many drinks you will have that evening and tell your designated driver. Since alcohol breaks down barriers and releases inhibitions, you may need to take extra steps to ensure that you stick with your plan. In the end, after all, it always comes back to planning!

Do a quick cost-benefit analysis before you get to your party to determine if 1/4 pound weight gain, bloating, a hangover and the social repercussions of "letting go" are worth the pleasure of the drink and the temporary sense of conviviality.

I'm not suggesting you have a "dry" Thanksgiving (I am looking forward some of my favorite wines myself). Just make intentional choices so that you can enjoy your drink without regret and guilt after the fact.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that means only 1 bottle of wine, for me, while I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner! Just kidding. Thanks for the terrific reminder about those "sneaky" alcohol calories. They do add up! I'll be proactive though, I'll bank a few "shimmy calories" that I'll burn tonight in Belly Dance fitness!

radiantfitness said...

I think if you drink the bottle you have to skip the dinner--but not the pie. Never skip the pie.

And yes, I'm headed out for the Great Calorie Shimmy Off right now.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks! Looking forward to seeing you this weekend Keri....maybe we can do a little dance to work off the turkey dinner?! And the pie. And the port I plan to consume.
Cheers,
Katie

radiantfitness said...

Oh yeah, we'll do the portly pie dance--especially after I've had my samples of your current flights. It'll be an impromptu escape!

Seriously though, Steve and I love to do the wine tastings (our goal is to have a bottle from every state we visit) and yours are STILL the most consistently yummy across the flight of any we've tried.

Dr Liz said...

no comment...
liz