Thursday, November 20, 2008

Change is in the Air


I used to grumble about Christmas decorations popping up before Thanksgiving, but this year I have a confession: I'm jumping even that gun, and thinking New Year.

Some of my reasons are business: I need to get classes and marketing plans in place so that when YOU hit the ground running in 2009, I have something to offer. Some of my reasons are practical: I just have to wrap up personal, business and church financial stuff so that, again, come January 1, I am ready.

But other reasons are just plain personal: I come into my first and only 39th year in 2009, and since I'm staring 40 dead in the eye, I need to decide how the next half plus of my life is going to be.

The fact is, I can't drink like I'm 21 anymore. I can't stay up late like I'm 30. I can't sleep overnight in makeup like I'm 19. I can't drink cola like I'm 32. Well--I COULD do all of those things, but the costs of small daily lifestyle choices are more evident now (they were always there. Just because you can't see the arterial plaque doesn't make it imaginary).

So even now, I'm thinking about resolutions. I make them. I love them. I succeed at some of them each year--and I fail at some of them each year. But I'm an optimist who keeps on trying, knowing that even a "failed" attempt to live a little better is better than no attempt at all.

By the way, I will be putting up Thanksgiving decorations today--just because I'm planning ahead doesn't mean I don't enjoy the here and now.

P.S. Lotus Yoga is here! Think weight-loss Boot Camp, yoga-style! In each daily session, not only will beginners be introduced to the vigorous practices of yoga, but will also learn about managing stress simply and making mental shifts to improve all areas of life. Classes will be each weekday in January (5-30) from 6-7a at the Kula Center in Newport. Cost for this 20-session intensive transformational program is $199--only $180 if you sign up by 12/19 (spaces are limited)

No comments: