Sunday, June 01, 2008

Relax, and make $8000!

According to the December 2007 issue of Money magazine, stress can cost about $8,000 a year(and that was before $4/gal gas!) Here's how it breaks out: $300 for nonprescription drugs, $5600 in health care costs, $375 in higher life insurance premiums and $500 in dental problems. Why do we spend so much?

#1, we buy pills to ease the symptoms of stress (antacids, pain relievers, sleep meds, decongestants).

#2, Adults who suffer from severe stress rack up double the health-care costs of the "average" adults. Stress weakens the immune system and worsens chronic conditions like arthritis.

#3 Stress is linked to weight gain, which, in turn, raises risks for heart disease, stroke, Type 2 diabetes--and raises life insurance costs.

#4 Teeth grinding is higher in people experiencing stress (financial stress, according to the study). So is gum disease and are cavities.

#5 Stressed workers are away from their desks 23 days. It hurts your career prospects, and ultimately your bottom line.

And the good news, according to Money? The fix is easy and cheap: Stretch out on the sofa and breathe deeply for ten minutes. Exercise daily. Cut the caffeine (yeah, like that will happen . . .)

Think of it this way: $8000 saved is $8000 earned. Over the course of a year, each 15-minute walk or free yoga class earns you $20-$40 or so.

What are you doing to de-stress and earn that money? Click on comments below and share with the other 100 or so blog readers what you do to keep healthy!

Keri

P.S. Don't forget your free yoga class on Wednesday at 9a at Richwood Presbyterian (e-mail me at keri@radiantfitness.com if you need directions) Bring a yoga mat or towel and maybe some warm socks for the relaxation section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Well, if I lived near you, I would be taking your yoga class, but since I'm 5 hours away, I'll just give my relaxation techniques and hope that's good enough!

First, I do take a nearby yoga class once a week and there I learned about a breathing technique that I practice in the late afternoon. I get that 3pm need to take a nap, so the breathing helps wake me up a little.

Then, my husband and I play golf about 2 times a week. We walk the course, so it's really good exercise, AND it's impossible to think about the normal stress stuff when you're trying to line up a good 4 foot putt to the hole! I know golf causes a lot of stress in other people, but I don't worry about bad shots or bettering my score. So golf works for me.

And since I can't spend my fitness money on you (again, your 5 hours away doggonit), then into the golf club it goes! Cheers!

radiantfitness said...

Katie,
I'm the same as you (re: golf) when it comes to bowling--if I try to really "bowl," it amps me up and stresses me out. If I go up to the lane with the gutter as my goal, I can sometimes (barely) score in the three digits.

Congratulations on Peaceful Bend Winery's 10th anniversary! I wish we could celebrate with you (but it's that 5 hour thing again!) Had Whittenburg with our grilled pork and asparagus tonight.