Sunday, June 22, 2008

Oh, What a Beautiful Morning!

Although some research shows that afternoon exercise may burn a couple more calories, in general it's best to try to get your activity in first thing in the morning.

Working out early "sets" you for the day, priming your metabolic pump, reinforcing your circadian rhythms, and quite probably improving your mood and resilience (an oft-quoted study from Duke University said that a brisk morning walk had the equivalent effect of a therapeutic dose of Zoloft).

Exercising in the morning also dramatically ups the likelihood that you will exercise at all. Later in the day, we can all find 1001 excuses--from laundry to that weekly blog you write. If you roll out of bed and into your tennis shoes before your brain has time to create excuses, you'll be more efficient and effective as you work through the day.

So if you are home, reading this early, tie on the shoes and go. If you are sitting at your office desk reading this, get up now and take a 10-minute walking break (yes, you can even walk in heels). If it's 10:30p and you are winding down for the night, drop and give me 10 push-ups (or stand and do them against the wall). And tomorrow, do it all again--first thing!

(BTW--my sugar intake is NOT down this week--an average of 70 grams (4 1/2 Tbsp) per day. I just hauled a 50 lb bag of dog food up the stairs yesterday--at this rate, that's my annual sugar intake. The average for an adult American is 170 lb--3.5 bags. Try picking up one of these bags next time you are in the store, if your back and knees will allow.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find if I can get motiviated and roll out of bed that morning exercises really help me. I am more awake once I get to work, more motivated to work, and more motivated to stick to my diet, I already exercised so I don't want to "blow" the whole day. Now I just got to convince myself to get out of bed, every day!!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a "catch-22" for me. I know that I do best if I workout first thing in the morning; however, I tend to use that as an excuse not to workout later in the day if I have a morning conflict. (i.e. I think, "Oh, well, I'll just have to workout harder tomorrow," instead of thinking, "OK, I can do something this afternoon.") Need to work on that attitude!