Monday, January 26, 2009

Goal weights

His Royal Highness, Bob Greene (you know, Oprah's Bob) said on Oprah's show a couple weeks ago that the problem with goal weights is that (a) you either never reach them or (b) when you DO reach them, you don't get the love/acceptance/accolades/new job/whatever you were looking for.

So I'm thinking and thinking and thinking about this. My goal weight (that I have not seen in six years) is 112--easily 15 pounds lighter than I am at the moment. I know I could hit it in six to seven dedicated weeks. I've known that for a year. Every so often I say to myself, "This is it! This will be the six-week hard-core flat-out period!" and I will get it done, for once and for all.

But--there it is, and it's so obvious that I want to slap myself on the forehead. There is no once and for all. When I was at 112, I didn't get a pass on sweating. I didn't get to stock my fridge with cheesecake and wine and go gallivanting to Monte Carlo on an all-you-can-eat cruise. I know it, I preach it, I teach it.

But we "fitness pros" are no different from you "civilians." Our bodies follow the same energy principles. Our minds play the same head games (and often more--many people come into this field because they know first-hand the crises excess weight can create). Once again, it's time for me to get over my "once and for all" thinking and move on. Literally.

What about you? What is the fantasy you need to acknowledge about your goal weight?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keri, what you have stated could have been pulled right out of my head. My "goal" is actually only 5lbs from where I am, but I know that I still would not be satisfied. Because, truth is, a body that has had three big boys by c-section, and had 38 years of gravity is never going to look the way I want it too (think magazine model) no matter how much I weigh. Let's here it for the appreciation of our function- thriving women who do it all -literally- and do enough to take care of ourselves and keep us in the "healthy range". I intend to keep exercising because it keeps me healthy- weight in check, cholesterol down, heart strong, and I intend to keep eating healthy because I know that fruits and veggies are what God designed to keep us in top form. I know that my physical appearance will reflect what I do- I will be strong, with bright eyes, a great smile and pretty good posture because I know how to keep it pulled in a do abs all day. Thanks for the encouragement!

Becke Davis said...

My goal weight is the weight I considered fat when I was in high school and weighed 117. And I'm a long way from that goal.