Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Dirty" Dancing?

Last week I received a vitriolic phone message from a man who was incensed that I teach "sexually provocative" dance at Richwood Presbyterian Church. After ranting about my sinfulness, he "insisted" that I cease teaching classes immediately and write a letter to the community via the Grant County News apologizing for leading the womenfolk of northern Kentucky astray.

Now, I could have called the fellow (who is not affiliated with the church in any way) back and given him a long lecture on the history and art of Oriental (a.k.a. Belly) Dance; it's ancient origins as a folk dance among women and men of the Middle East; the purposes of dance in general as a form of communication, et cetera, et cetera and so forth and so forth.

Instead I blocked his phone number, regained the blessing of church leaders to continue the classes, and called the sheriff to let him know about Boone County latest wacko.

But honestly, I was upset. I'm not in the habit of getting nasty phone calls. I, like everyone else, want people to think kindly of me, and to respect what I say and do. When it comes to any form of exercise, however, it is very easy to let the opinions of your family, friends, neighbors and even strangers stop us from doing what we love and what we need to do.

How often have you decided NOT to exercise because you didn't want anyone to see you in shorts? How often have you told yourself, "I look bad enough--never mind how I look sweaty!" How often have you decided to sit out a dance because you aren't a "good" dancer?

I can't pump up your self-esteem over the internet. I cannot cover your ears to the derision and scorn (real or imagined) that you hear from loved ones and strangers. But I can tell you with authority born of both research and practice that sometimes making a fool of yourself (or even incurring the wrath of the occasional nutjob) is the wisest decision you can make.

I saw a clinically obese woman walking in Edgewood last week. She was dripping sweat, the armpits and back of her t-shirt soaked through. She'd break into a half-jog for a few steps, slow down, then jog again. She was working to solve her problem and she was beautiful. I wanted to jump out of my car and hug her, but northern Kentucky doesn't need another wacko.

By the way . . . everyone is beautiful in dance class! This is the LAST week to register for classes beginning September 2, so e-mail me today if you want to join in!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!! Thanks always for your encouragement and strength.

Anonymous said...

Way to put that guy back in his place, Keri.

By the way, my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed your Belly Dance 101 and Belly Dance fitness classes last week. Can't wait unitl tomorrow night!

radiantfitness said...

Thanks, Ladies!
I try to stay upbeat--even when I want to beat someone up.

And I'm glad the two of you are in class, Rhonda--we're going to have a blast.