Monday, May 19, 2008

Salt Water Cures Everything

I'm lifting this week's "Motivator" from Kim, a terrific Weight Watchers leader who leads the 9:15 Friday meetings at Silverlake Shopping Center. Kim paraphrased the author Isak Denisen, who wrote that almost every problem can be improved by adding salt water--in the form of sweat, tears, or time by the sea (you thought I was going to give dietary advice, didn't you?)

This week, when you run into obstacles, try to figure out which of the three forms of salt water will help you get around/over/through them. Do you need to just roll up your sleeves and work through it (sweat?) Are you bottling up your emotions and need to let go (tears?) Or do you need to back away from the situation and get some perspective (which always seems to happen when you look at the vastness of the ocean?)

The last thing you want to do with problems or pain is literally feed them. Running to the fridge when you are stressed is as bad for you as, well, drinking salt water!

P.S. To join the conversation, click on "Comments" below. You don't need to create a log-in. Just use your "name" or make one up.

P.P.S My church where I teach yoga is running one of the first Vacation Bible Schools of the summer for toddlers to adults. Just imagine--for two hours every evening during the week of 6/9-6/13, someone else will teach and entertain all of your kids for FREE while you enjoy a walk, a dinner together, or some time lying in a hammock (or enjoy some Bible study of your own in the adult classes). Call 485-7200 to register by phone or register online right now!

2 comments:

Dave Owen said...

In my experience, "you can change emotion with a motion".

I agree with you about the sweat part of the salt water treatment. When I get out for a 10 mile or more ride on my bicycle, I feel a lot better.

In fact, my wife will sometimes say to me, don't you need to go for a ride. That is when I am getting a little out of sorts.

Life is as good as I allow it to be.

http://happynessisachoice.com

radiantfitness said...

Dave,
A study about four years ago or so out of Duke University (shh--don't tell anyone I'm quoting them; I'm in University of Kentucky territory here), showed that a 20-minute walk has about the same effect as a dose of Zoloft. We don't just change our "moods" with exercise--we improve our neurochemistry. Keep riding!